Thursday, December 23, 2010

Realities I Learned from Wicked



I have always had a special love for Wicked the Musical. I used to be obsessed about it. It was ALL I thought about. I always dreamed the impossible dream (Man of La Mancha anyone? haha) of going to Oz. Elphaba was quite literally my best friend. (hey, I was a lonely kid, don't poke fun) I sang, and danced to Wicked all day, everyday. Recently, I rediscovered my love for Wicked as I go through a similar phase in my life. Sometimes life is lonely. Sometimes there is no one there for you. These are the days that remind me of Wicked.

So here goes the "Realities I Learned from Wicked"

"Isn't it nice to know that good will conquer evil?"
--Good will win in the end. It's as simple as that.

"They reap only what they've sown"
-- I have always loved the idea of you get what you put into life.

Song- "The Wizard and I"
-- I learned that everything you want to happen could possibly happen, just not in the way you thought it would.

Song- "What is This Feeling?"
--People don't always have the best first impression of you.

"The trouble with schools is- they always try to teach the wrong lessons."
--The things you learn in high school (for the most part) are not as important as the things you experience.

"I say, Why invite stress in?"
--I love this idea. I stress way too much about everything. What's the point of inviting it into our lives?

"It's just life, so keep dancing through"
--I worry about everything. I need to not do that so much, and just enjoy myself a little more.

"And the strange thing, your life could end up changing while your dancing through"
--Kind of like the previous one, life can change if you loosen up a bit.

Song- "I''m not that girl"
--It doesn't matter how much you love him, it doesn't matter if he is the one, sometimes you are not the one for him.

"Don't dream too far, don't lose sight of who you are"
--This one is sad. Sometimes we get so caught up in day dream we forget who we truly are.


"Every so often we long to steal to a land of what-might-have-been but that doesn't soften the ache we feel when reality sets back in"
--This one is one of my favorites. Yeah sure, we can think about things of the past as if they could be things of the future or we say to ourselves "If I only would/n't have done that" but the thing is, that doesn't help us once we remember the way life is.

"I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game"
--Times in life, we forget how we originally wanted to run the show. We end up living our lives for other people, and the way they desire and not ourselves.

"I'm through accepting limits, 'cause someone says they're so, somethings we cannot change but til I try, I'll never know"
--People bring us down. People tell us what is possible and not. Don't tell me, I have to try to know.

"Too long I have been afraid of losing love, I guess I've lost"
-- I love this one a lot. I hold on to people because I care, but some day I need to accept that things have changed and they will never be the same.

"Simply couldn't be happier, well not simply, cause getting your dreams, its strange but it seems a little more complicated."
--Getting what you want in life, comes at the cost of other things, it's not easy.

"There are bridges you crossed, you didn't know you crossed until you've crossed"
--This is probably my favorite line from the whole play. Especially right now in my life. People come and go. Sometimes because of problems or moving away or something. Sometimes though because you fade from their lives.

"My road of good intentions led where such roads always lead"
--Sometimes no matter how hard you try to be good and nice, it doesn't matter to those around you and its simply not enough.

"People come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn"
--First of all, this is among my favorite songs ever. This line has helped me over the past years. People aren't just there to be people. We have them for reasons and to help us.

"We are led to those who help us most to grow, if we let them, and we help them in return"
--Note, If we let them.

"Who can say if I have been changed for the better? But because I knew you, I have been changed for good"
-- This makes me think of a lot of people. This song makes me think a lot about who has come in my life. Lauren Faber, Lydia Nielsen, Emily Curtis, Macall Weight, Emily Clark, Wendy Nelson, Jamie Peterson, Mady Whitehead, Christian Paiva, Sarah Thayne, Hannah Morley, Ryley Yarro, McKann Hanseen, Dania Frandsen, and Jake Knell. The people who have been my best, the best of the best friends, to me throughout my life. Sadly, I am not friends with all of these people anymore. Sadly, my relationships with pretty much everyone on this list of people has changed. Sadly, I don't even know who to call a best friend anymore. But one thing I know, in the last 12 years, these people have shaped who I am. These people have helped me grow and developed into who I have and will become. There have been times when I have lost myself and they have helped me find "me" again. I love them all for reasons or another. I thank them all for the countless things they have done for me. I don't think they will ever understand where I would be without them. Some made small impacts, others changed my whole life. But because I knew all of these people, I have been changed for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment