Thursday, April 28, 2011

it's a love story, baby just say yes.

In honor of the Royal Wedding,  I bring you a story of true real love. Truly and Completely.  I am-- what some people call-- a hopeless romantic. I want to believe that my love life will be the cutest story there is out there. I have dreams of my husband telling me how much he loves me. (And telling others too) The kind of love story that my children giggle at, the kind of story every girl in the world wishes they had. I just want it. So badly. I guess we will see. But for now, I HIGHLY recommend reading this story President Uchtdorf told in Young Women Meeting last year.


"One Sunday the missionaries brought a new family to our meetings whom I hadn’t seen before. It was a mother with two beautiful daughters. I thought that these missionaries were doing a very, very good job. I particularly took notice of the one daughter with gorgeous dark hair and large brown eyes. Her name was Harriet, and I think I fell in love with her from the first moment I saw her. Unfortunately, this beautiful young woman didn’t seem to feel the same about me. She had many young men who wanted to make her acquaintance, and I began to wonder if she would ever see me as anything but a friend. But I didn’t let that deter me. I figured out ways to be where she was. When I passed the sacrament, I made sure I was in the right position so that I would be the one to pass the sacrament to her. 

When we had special activities at church, I rode my bike to Harriet’s house and rang the doorbell. Harriet’s mother usually answered. In fact, she opened the kitchen window of their apartment on the fourth floor and asked what I wanted. I would ask if Harriet would like a ride to church on my bicycle. Harriet’s mother would say, “No, she will be coming later, but I will be happy to ride with you to church.” This wasn’t exactly what I had in mind, but how could I decline? And so we rode to church. I must admit I had a very impressive road bike. Harriet’s mother sat on the top tube bar just in front of me, and I tried to be the most elegant bicycle driver over roads of rough cobblestone.

Time passed. While beautiful Harriet was seeing many other young men, it seemed that I could not make any headway with her.

Was I disappointed? Yes.
Was I defeated? Absolutely not!

Actually, looking back I recognize that it doesn’t hurt at all to be on good terms with the mother of the girl of your dreams.

Years later, after I had finished my training as a fighter pilot in the air force, I experienced a modern miracle in Harriet’s response to my continued courting. One day she said, “Dieter, you have matured much over these past years.” I moved quickly after that, and within a few months I was married to the woman I had loved ever since I first saw her. The process hadn’t been easy—there were moments of suffering and despair—but finally my happiness was full, and it still is, even more so."

That's what I want. I want to be a girl that is worth the fight. One time Fidel Monterro (yes, our vice principal, he is in my ward so that's why I know this) said that he was the luckiest and the he got the biggest catch in the world.

I just want to be someone's biggest catch.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Mayson! I needed a love story today. :) This made me happy. Wasn't that the best talk?
    ~Kat

    ReplyDelete