Wednesday, July 6, 2011

how's it gonna be?

Have you ever thought about death? 
Every once in a while.
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
I am sorry, I lied, I think about death every day.

I am not suicidal, I love my life but often, I think about death. I hate that talking about death makes someone seem suicidal. Not because I want to die, but mostly because I want to make sure I am living my life ready to die. After seeing the oddly sad inspiring movie "Seven Pounds" the thought came to mind a little bit more. 

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow. 

And that's why I think about it.  We just don't know. So I think of every day as a miracle to be alive. I am sure many of you have been asked by me if you will come to my funeral.  I just wonder. Sure I have more than half my funeral planned, it's mostly a "joke"--but not really. But at the same time, it is. After a long run, or a hard day, I check up with the people I have planned for my funeral to make sure they are still up for it. They always say yes.  But I don't think about death because of what happens while your dying, or what the plans are after. I think about it because of the way I live my life while I was given the time to live it.

Am I doing the things I need to be? Is my life in focus? Are my priorities straight? Did I make good choices? Did I help others in need? Could I stand before God and be proud of my final hours on Earth? 

Is checking in with yourself really such a bad thing? 
God has only given us so many seconds.


No comments:

Post a Comment