Sunday, September 11, 2011

even heroes have the right to bleed

I think it was the only day I ever spent at my dad's house on a school night. I remember that morning. Everyone was in a rush, school was going to start and we were still in Springville. As kids, we didn't understand it wasn't like every morning at home with our mom. We thought we could still watch our usual 15 minutes of Arthur before we had to leave. We quickly turned the tv on. My dad spattered in the room, turning the tv off telling us it was time to go. We got in the car and drove to school. 

I don't remember the exact moment I found out. But I remember seeing those videos. My almost 8 year old self didn't understand the tragedy, but I realized that this was something huge. Two buildings crumbled to the ground.  There are few moments I remember distinctively from elementary school. Three to be exact-- the Twin Towers falling, Elizabeth Smart being kidnapped, and the day she was found. How come our brain remembers tragedy?

  . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . .

Ten years later, 9/11 is much more to me. It's representing something bigger than it really is. It represents hope, unity and courage.  Documentary after documentary, and we still don't know what it felt like to be one of them. We are the generation of 9/11. We must remember it, and remember it always, "Freedom isn't free". It comes with a price. Thousands of men and women died in those buildings. Firefighters, policemen, and every day people were killed in innocence. Millions have been killed because of the war this started.

On the news it talked about people who want to stop teaching the kids the Pledge of Allegiance because it says "God" in it. However, no matter how many people try to argue, or pretend like God isn't watching over us, they don't comprehend the whole point. God was there that day, and he has been ever since then.


In as much of a catastrophe as that was, too many miracles took place that day for us to feel that God forgot us.






No comments:

Post a Comment