Wednesday, June 13, 2012

i found god

I think even the coldest of hearts, the richest of men, the proud and noble--everyone-- has had a moment where they need to believe in something bigger than themselves. I believe, we all have our times where we need a God to lift our burdens and remove our struggles. I wouldn't doubt that all men, at some point, call out to a being above to aid them in one way or another. Everyone needs God. 

I have always been a religious person. For as long as I remember, I've been an active member of my church. I have been taught to pray and read my scriptures, to not judge others, to forgive, and love one another. I know to trust in the Lord, and have faith in him. I've been fortunate enough to know of God and develop a personal belief that He is. 

Like everyone, I have moments when the world gets in the way. I become too tired to actively seek God through prayers and scripture study. Often, I justify gossip and struggle to forgive one who has crossed me. I fight with my loved ones, I envy those better than me. Although I have been taught correct principles and morals, I'm only a human being trying to make it in this cold, dark world. 

But no matter how far I seem to get from home, I'm always drawn back to Him. I have moments where I need God. It seems to be in the darkest of night, and the coldest of the hours, where He has come to me and offered his loving arms and warmest embrace.

 I haven't had the hardest life. I've definitely had my struggles, but overall it's been good. I've always had a place to call home, food to eat, no one close to me has ever died. I never struggled in school. Making friends has been relatively easy and I rarely struggled with fitting in. Despite these things, instances have come where I have needed Him. 

Sometimes, I need God because I lose focus on a test in school. Countless times, he's been there for me. I need Him when I have to face fears of a scary roller coaster, or when a driver is rough around the edges. I'm pretty sure when I first started driving, I prayed for God each time I got into a vehicle. I have needed God the most in my restless hours of the night. Those nights when my stomach is aching or head is pounding, when I coughing never ceases or my throat is swollen. It seems to me that I need God the most when I am sick.

I'm grateful for those moments when God reminds us that we need something bigger than  ourselves and that we just can't make it on our own. The best part is, we don't have to.

1 comment: